The E-2 classification is authorized for a national of a country with which the United States has a commercial treaty ( Iran is included)
,who is coming to the United States solely to direct and develop the operations of an enterprise in which he or she has invested, or is actively involved in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital (on average app. $250,000.00).
This category does not require a petition for employment if the alien is outside of the U.S. In that case, the alien applies for this category on his or her own behalf directly to a U.S. consular office abroad.
The investment involved must place lawfully acquired, owned, and controlled capital at commercial risk with a profit objective, and be subject to loss if the investment fails.
Application Document Requirements
The application must be filed with the appropriate fee payment, and evidence that:
- The investor is a national of a country with whom the U.S. has the requisite treaty or agreement;
- The alien (or in the case of an employee of a treaty investor who seeks classification as an E-2, the owner of the treaty enterprise) will direct or develop the enterprise. The alien must demonstrate that he controls the enterprise by showing ownership of at least 50% of the enterprise, by possessing operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device or by other means;
- The investor has invested in or is actively in the process of investing in the enterprise;
- The investment is substantial, i.e. sufficient to ensure the investor’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise and big enough to support the likelihood that the investor will successfully direct and develop the enterprise;
- The investment enterprise is not a marginal enterprise;
Usually the E-2 visa is granted for an initial 2 years but the Investor can request an unlimited number of extensions, which may be granted in 2-5 year increments.